Major Robert F. Burns

90th Division, U.S. Army


War Letters from Europe

Normandy to Germany

Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References

358th Infantry Typed History

July 9, 1944
July 10, 1944
July 11, 1944
July 12, 1944
July 13, 1944
July 14, 1944
July 15, 1944
July 16, 1944
July 17, 1944
July 18, 1944
July 19, 1944
July 20, 1944
July 21, 1944
July 22, 1944
July 23, 1944
July 24, 1944
July 25, 1944
July 26, 1944
July 27, 1944
July 28, 1944
July 29, 1944
July 30, 1944
July 31, 1944

358th Infantry Typed History

July 9-July 31, 1944

20 July 1944

HISTORY - 358th Infantry

At 0250 Lt. Col Bealke reported that his Battalion had completed the relief of the 3d Bn 359. No enemy activity. This information was reported to G-3. At 0345 mortar fire landed in "L" Co's area. There was, however, no damage. At 0415 "I" Co. reported intermittent artillery fire - 3 or 4 shells at a time. 1st and 2d Bns reported "all quiet". Artillery fire in "I" Co. area ceased at 0535. No casualties. At 0600 a summary of the night activities was phoned to G-3.

At 1050 "L" Co. reported two casualties as result of early morning shelling. By 1243, 3d Bn reported that patrols had been sent out but that visibility was very poor on the Island. The enemy was in front of "I" Co. and that Company was receiving MG fire. They would not send out patrols unless contact with enemy was lost. At 1300 the 3d Bn received artillery fire.

At 1307 General Landrum arrived at the CP.

Now Major Wallace and Capt Hawk, 712th Tk Bn worked out a series of Hand Signals for use between tankers and infantrymen. Capt. Moore, our first casualty in Normandy, a Captain who had been wounded and evacuated, was reported back and would return tonight to the Regiment with 25 enlisted men who were also 358 and who had been wounded. Replacements were being instructed in hedgerow fighting and also in Infantry-Tank coordination.

At 1420 "I" Co. reported artillery falling on them and they believed it was coming from a mobile gun. Major Wallace contacted the artillery and requested that they send a plane aloft to spot enemy artillery guns.

At 1855 Division notified Lt. Col. Clarke that the attack would probably be 1200 or 1500 21 July. A four hour notice would be given. Troops must be ready and move anytime after 0900. At 2200 the 2d Bn reported the capture of French civilians who had been caught tapping in on our wires. One civilian, who had resisted, had been beaten over the head by a soldier. Major Falvey sent these prisoners to the CIC at Division. The OP reported that the enemy truck vehicles could be heard moving toward the south.

The story of the apprehended French civilians now ran into complications. The man who picked them up had been drinking. Eventually, the Frenchmen were released.

At 2256 overlays, accompanying Reg'l FO #11, were distributed to units concerned.

At 2310 the Rear Echelon reported that Major Nichols, Reg'l S-3, who had been wounded and sent to England, would return to the regiment in the morning.

The 3d Bn reported that they were sending out patrols, and that during the shelling during the day, one man was killed and one man was wounded.

Hq 90th Inf. Div
APO 90, U.S. Army
201200 July 1944


FO #13

3. b. 358th Infantry

Atchd: Co. A, 712 Tk Bn

Co. A, 86 Cml Bn.

(1) Attack within Z of H-Hour clear enemy resistance from island H to St. Germain Sur Seves and seize obj C & D

(2) Protect the left flank of the Division.


21 July 1944

  Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References
Copyright © 2013-2018 Marie T. Burns