Major Robert F. Burns

90th Division, U.S. Army


War Letters from Europe

Normandy to Germany

Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References

358th Infantry Typed History

July 9, 1944
July 10, 1944
July 11, 1944
July 12, 1944
July 13, 1944
July 14, 1944
July 15, 1944
July 16, 1944
July 17, 1944
July 18, 1944
July 19, 1944
July 20, 1944
July 21, 1944
July 22, 1944
July 23, 1944
July 24, 1944
July 25, 1944
July 26, 1944
July 27, 1944
July 28, 1944
July 29, 1944
July 30, 1944
July 31, 1944

358th Infantry Typed History

July 9-July 31, 1944

29 July 1944

HISTORY - 358th Infantry

During the early morning hours positions of CP's of the 357th and 359th were received, as were overlays showing the disposition of their troops. The weather forecast (cloudy and rain) came in from Division. Division informed the regiment that the 8th and 79th Inf Div's were to the right of the 90th and the 83rd Inf Div was on the left. The 1st Inf Div was to the immediate front. At 0730, Lt. Hougen left on a road recon. Capt Steckla was instructed to pick up all wire available. Large explosions were heard close to our area. No explanation was forthcoming on them, but all units were checking.

By 0900, Capt. Olson, S-4, announced that all kitchens were in the area and had been released to respective companies.

At 0915, the sixth big explosion was heard. Div Hqs suggested that we be not concerned about them as they are apparently doing no damage.

By 0950, Col. McNary directed that all reconnaissance be called off. One (1) German Panzer Div and (1) SS Division had escaped the trap. 1st Army would continue the attack with this Corps. The 358th Inf would move by motor, due W, to its new position in the lines.

Units were all alerted. Unit commanders were ordered to the CP by 1130. At 1115, Gen. McLlain, Ass't Div CO, arrived and met the staffs of the Bns.

Plans were now made for this coming move and instructions were issued.

Indications were that the 90th Div, with the 83rd Div, would be attached to the XX Corps.

By 1315, Col. McNary had left on a road recon. The Ordnance announced they would arrive soon and check equipment. Enemy planes reported over ST LO. Major Nichols was the official S-3 now and Major Wallace was to be just an extra Staff Officer.

At 1420, the "Big Picture" was received.

At. 1510, the order was issued that all elements of the Field Train would be South of the ST LO - PERIERS road by 0700 30 July. M/Sgt Van Hagen phoned from Div Hqs that the Regt would not move today. This information was passed on to all units concerned.

At 1700, Col. McNary returned from road recon and stated that there were Germans in COUTANCES. Officer personnel was now changed. Lt. Morrison from Co H to Co M. Lt. Brown from "?" to F Co. Capt Spivey from "?" to CG Service Co. Lt. Donohue reported the advance of the 359th Inf. It was decided at this time that the propaganda leaflets shot to us from the Germans, could not be sent home. Hot dinner would be served tomorrow and also breakfast!

At 2000 hours information on the enemy defense line was received. Units were notified to make their schedules for tomorrow in such a manner that men be allowed to attend church services.

At 2100 G-3 stated he would try to get permission to use "live ammo" for bazooka training of the new replacements.

At 2300, a german officer (PW) stated that the "big plan" of the Germans was to let the Americans advance as far as the Brest Peninsula, and then attack from the rear through an amphibious operation. He claimed if this maneuver worked, Germany would win the war. It it didn't work, Germany would lose the war.

Major Falvey passed this on to G-2.

30 July 1944

  Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References
Copyright © 2013-2018 Marie T. Burns