Major Robert F. Burns

90th Division, U.S. Army


War Letters from Europe

Normandy to Germany

Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References

Letters from France

June 22, 1944
June 29, 1944
June 29, 1944 (2nd)
July 6, 1944
July 17, 1944
August 10, 1944
August 14, 1944
August 25, 1944
September 1, 1944
September 2, 1944
September 3, 1944
September 3, 1944 (2nd)
September 14, 1944
September 16, 1944
September 16, 1944 (2nd)
September 17, 1944
September 28, 1944
October 2, 1944
October 14, 1944
October 22, 1944
November 2, 1944
November 12, 1944
November 24, 1944
December 2, 1944
December 27, 1944

Letters from Luxembourg

January 9, 1945
January 16, 1945
January 20, 1945

Letter from Belgium

February 7, 1945

Letters from Germany

February 9, 1945
February 21, 1945
February 23, 1945
February 26, 1945
April 5, 1945
May 5, 1945

Letters from Czechoslovakia

May 10, 1945
May 16, 1945

Letters from Germany

May 19, 1945
May 20, 1945
May 24, 1945
June 3, 1945
June 22, 1945

Letters from France

June 30, 1945
July 3, 1945

Letters from Germany

July 14, 1945
July 27, 1945
July 30, 1945
August 3, 1945
August 14, 1945

Letters from France

August 26, 1945
August 28, 1945
August 29, 1945

Letters from Germany

September 9, 1945
September 11, 1945
September 13, 1945
September 15, 1945
September 17, 1945
September 23, 1945
September 27, 1945
October 1, 1945
October 9, 1945

Letters from France

October 13, 1945
October 15, 1945
October 22, 1945
November 5, 1945
November 17, 1945
November 17, 1945 (2nd)
November 23, 1945
November 30, 1945
December 17, 1945
December 17, 1945 (2nd)
December 18, 1945
December 26, 1945
January 2, 1946

Letters from Belgium

January 14, 1946
January 15, 1946
January 17, 1946
January 17, 1946 (2nd)

Letters from France

January 21, 1946
January 24, 1946

Weiden, Germany

July 14, 1945

Dear Mom,

We finally got a plane out on the 4th of July. The trip back was really wonderful. I felt no discomfort and was able to watch the scenery the whole way.

We flew back by way of Brenner Pass and it made a beautiful trip. We skirted the shores of the Mediterranean as far as Genoa where we swung north.

The Pass itself was blanket with clouds. We climbed to 14,000 feet without breaking clear and finally flew right on through. The altitude bothered some of the others, but I felt swell. It did get very cold. Since I expected the same hot box as when I went down, I had pulled off my jacket. As I dropped it back at the rear of the plane, I didn't put it back on.

Occasionally through the swirling clouds we could see the mountains below, snow-capped and bleak looking. The cloud bank lasted to just short of Munich when the pilot found a hole and we dove down through it, landing shortly thereafter at Munich airport. The trip took just 3-1/2 hours which was somewhat better time.

At Munich it was raining and cold, and apparently had been for over a week, which had delayed our departure from Cannes.

In the time we were gone they had done wonders with the building they used for billets near the airport. It was fixed up quite well and we got good meals again. Incidentally, one explanation of the poor meals at Cannes may be because of the head waiter at our hotel who I learn got fired for running off with all the food. After we got the new man the food improved immeasurably.

We stayed overnight to wait for our truck which had to come down to meet us. We left the next day in little better weather. Once again we broke down, but this time we were near home and I got a jeep to take me the rest of the way.

I returned to find things in a turmoil. We are in the process of redeploying, which means all our officers and men over 85 (except those who elect to stay) are being transferred to other units. These units will return to the States at various times for disbandment, but the officers will not necessarily be discharged. It takes a much higher score there to get out - more than I have.

I expect to be transferred also through right at the moment it is rather indefinite. I put in my application for discharge over here and Division refused to forward it. Said I had to wait until transferred.

They are all wet and I went back to the Adjutant General and had him look up the regulations. He agreed with me and is now trying to get it out. They are obliged to send it forward whether they approve or not. If they persist in not doing so, I will probably lodge a complaint with the Inspector General.

All my old friends are leaving and in another week or two you won't recognize this outfit.

I received the other two rolls of 120 film and also Gracie's box of licorice and two boxes of caramels. Many thanks for all of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take as many pictures as I would like to, so have plenty of film on hand now.

I got rushed off to the Riviera rather fast. In leaving I grabbed a cartridge of film I had loaded. Haven't had it developed yet, but I am afraid now I took one I already had shot. I found what I think is the right one on my return. Did I tell you I borrowed a commercial dark room to load some film at Cannes? It got so hot I had to give up after one short strip. Getting film developed is a problem. Every place is swamped.

I'm enclosing a couple of pictures which Lt. Col. Ward (my room mate at Cannes) took. (I seem to be out of ink.) The pictures are not the best but they'll give you an idea of my famous mustache (which I will probably shave off soon) as well as the view from our hotel window.

Under separate cover I'll send you two other pictures too large to include here. One shows our staff, the other shows Gen. Earnest giving me my Oak Leaf Cluster to the Bronze Star some time back.



  Home  |  Military Career  |  Letters  |  Photos  |  Battles  |  References
Copyright © 2013-2018 Marie T. Burns